Carrara Marble Tour
Guided tour visiting Carrara and exploring the quarries of the famous Carrara’a marble from Florence, Siena and all the main destinations of Tuscany.
Off road adventure in the spectacular scenery of the Carrara marble quarries.
- Private Carrara marble’s quarries tour from Tuscany with private English speaking driver and transportation
- Learn all about Carrara marble with a friendly English-speaking guide
- Off road adventure in the Carrara marble quarries
- The charming towns of Carrara and Colonnata
Discover how the famous material used for architectural and artistic works that embellish squares, palaces, and private buildings all over the world is mined joining a tour in Carrara and in the marble quarries.
The tour starts with your private English-speaking driver picking you up in a luxury vehicle from your accommodation, for arriving in the Apuane mountains region, the area in Tuscany famous for the white marble of Carrara. Staring from the headquarter of the marble quarries, and using an off road vehicle, your friendly English speaking guide will lead you through a steep road connecting many quarries, heading an altitude of almost 1.000 m above the sea level and enjoying breathtaking view over the mountains and the Tuscan coastline. Inside the quarrying site, tour guide will also give you all the information about both ancient and modern methods of excavation, explaining all their stages of evolution in direct contact with the quarrymen at work.
Tour continue in the charming town of Carrara exploring its beautiful streets and squares, and in the lovely town of Colonnata discovering how Lardo di Colonnata is aged into white marble vats and tasting it with a delicious bruschetta.
Tour available from:
- The Carrara Marble Tour is a private activity available with transportation from Florence, Siena, Cortona, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Chianti, Pienza, San Gimignano, Val d’Orcia area, Arezzo and from all the main tourist sites of Tuscany.
- approximately 8-9 hours
- Transportation with qualified and professional English speaking driver and luxury vehicle Mercedes-Benz or equivalent
- Head office assistance and insurance coverage
- English speaking tour guide during the marble quarries tour
- Transportation with off road vehicle in the marble quarries area
- Lardo di Collanata tasting
Carrara marble: it is a type of white or blue-grey marble popular for use in sculpture and building decor. It has been quarried since Roman times in the mountains just outside the city of Carrara, the northernmost tip of Tuscany, Italy. More marble has been extracted from the over 650 quarry sites near Carrara than from any other place. The pure white statuario grade was used for monumental sculpture, as “it has a high tensile strength, can take a high gloss polish and holds very fine detail”.