Truffle Hunting Experience in Tuscany
Hunt truffles in Tuscany with truffle-hunting dogs and a local truffle hunter, identifying the different tree species and the ideal ecosystem for truffle growth.
Learn the differences in between black and white truffles, why they are so precious and taste its unique flavor enjoying a truffle based lunch.
- Private truffle hunting experience with private driver and transportation from all Tuscany
- Guided experience by an English speaking truffle expert
- Hunt truffles with truffle-hunting dogs and a local truffle hunter
- Walk in the beautiful Tuscan woods enjoying the charming Tuscan landscapes
- Learn why truffle are gourmet treats and enjoy a truffle based lunch in a local farm
Are you truffle lovers and would you like to go hunting truffle in Tuscany with a local truffle hunter and his dog? Would you like to recognize different types of truffle found in locally and enjoy a truffle-based lunch learning how Italians use them in the cuisine? This is the place to go!
Your English speaking driver will pick up in the morning from your accommodation for then meeting a local truffle hunter and his loyal dog, the authentic protagonist of the truffle hunting.
Walking in the beautiful natural environments of the Tuscan woods, you guide and truffle expert will tell you the different tree species and the ideal ecosystem for truffle growth, as well as the differences in between black and white truffles and all the other varieties.
Sniffing through the woods of Tuscany, the truffle-hunting dog will search the precious tubers and once the dog will start digging, the expert hunter will rapidly stop the dog, and will gingerly explore further into the ground, for then remove the hidden treasure. Voilà!
The truffle hunt lasts approximately 1.5 hours, and the walk breathing the unadulterated air of the Tuscan woods will all get hungry. It is time to refresh for the hunters, and a quiet and peaceful farm surrender by charming Tuscan landscapes is the perfect spot for some rest, telling about truffle hunting stories and funny anecdotes, before enjoying a delicious truffle based lunch, disclosing the local food traditions and tastings the many delicacies prepared with truffle. Buon appetito!
Departure available from:
- The truffle hunting experience in Tuscany is a private activity with departure from Florence, Siena, Cortona, Montepulciano, Montalcino, San Gimignano, Val d’Orcia area, Chianti (Radda, Greve, Gaiole, Castellina, Panzano), Pienza, Arezzo, Lucca, Pisa, San Miniato, Volterra, Chiusi, Sarteano, Chianciano, Cetona, Sinalunga, Asciano, San Giovanni d’Asso, Buonconvento, Monteriggioni, Colle val d’Elsa, Anghiari, Sansepolcro, Monterchi and from all the main tourist sites of Tuscany.
- approximately 4-6-8 hours
- Qualified and professional English speaking driver – Luxury vehicle Mercedes-Benz or equivalent (experience can be offered even without transportation)
- Head office assistance and insurance coverage
- Authentic truffle hunting activity in the Tuscan woods with a local truffle hunter and his dog
- English speaking guide/interpreter at disposal during the activity
- Truffle based lunch in a local farm (experience/activity can be offered even without lunch)
Truffle: Truffles are very valuable product often used in traditional Italian cooking, especially in the regions of Tuscany, Umbria and Piedmont. The white truffle (Tuber Magnatum Pico) is definitely the most valued. White in colour, and with sizes ranging from that of a walnut to an apple, it has a unique and unmistakable scent, which enhances the flavour. It lives in symbiosis, with plants such as poplar, willow and oak, and is particularly good eaten raw (better if on a hot dish) to enhance and appreciate its exceptional taste. The prized black truffle (Tuber Melonasporum Vittalini), a similar size to the white truffle, is black-purplish in colour, with an intense and prolonged perfume. It lends itself to short cooking times, and is great for using as fillings. We should also mention the less valuable, but at the same time flavourful and tasty, Scorzone Truffle (Tuber Aestivum).