Olive Oil Tour & Tasting Experience
Visit to a local olive oil press in Tuscany and Umbria learning how olive oil is extracted from olives using both traditional and modern system.
Taste the best Tuscan and Umbrian Extra Virgin olive oil directly from the producers and get all the information on how to use it in you cuisine.
- Private olive oil tour with private driver and transportation in Tuscany and Umbria
- Guided experience by an English speaking food and olive oil expert
- Olive oil press visit; bespoke experience with a local extra virgin olive oil producer
- Guided extra-virgin olive oil tasting with information about how to better use olive oil
There is no better way to learn the secrets of the Italian olive oil than by visiting an oil press in Tuscany or Umbria; this fascinating tour is designed for those who are interested in a unique day out in the countryside tasting the best extra virgin olive oil.
Your olive oil tour will start when your English-speaking driver picks you up from your accommodations in either Tuscany or Umbria, beginning your experience discovering the Italian gold. Crossing charming rolling hills covered by centennial olive trees, we will arrive at the best possible place to learn about olive oil: an authentic family owned olive oil press.
The owner will open the door of his olive-press, giving us the chance to learn how Evoo is made using the old millstone extraction method as well as with the modern continuous loop machinery, completing the visit with general information about the olive varieties, olive trees cultivation and olives’ harvest.
Then you will have a chance to sample the extra-virgin olive oil with the help of your guide, learning how to taste and judge olive oil, and to understand the differences between an authentic traditional production with a massive industrial production. Extra-virgin Olive Oil is one of the essential elements of Italian cuisine, and so during the tasting you will also get all the information on how to store it, pair the different olive oils with food and better use it for cooking in a tasty and healthy way.
Departure available from:
- The olive oil tour in Tuscany and Umbria is a private experience with departure from Florence, Siena, Cortona, Montepulciano, San Gimignano, Montalcino, Pienza, Val d’Orcia area, Chianti (Radda, Greve, Gaiole, Castellina, Panzano), Arezzo, Lucca, Pisa, Perugia, Assisi, Orvieto, Todi, Spello, Spoleto, Montefalco, Bevagna, Trasimeno lake area, Città della Pieve, Chiusi, Sarteano, Chianciano, Cetona, Sinalunga, Asciano, Buonconvento, Monteriggioni, Anghiari, Sansepolcro, Monte San Savino, Lucignano and from all the main tourist sites of Tuscany and Umbria.
- approximately 4-6 hours
* During the harvest time (From late October to late November) it is possible to see the squeezing process at the mill
- Qualified and professional English speaking driver
- Luxury vehicle Mercedes-Benz or equivalent
- Complimentary water
- Wi-Fi on board
- Head office assistance and insurance coverage
- English speaking food guide and olive oil expert
- Visit of the olive oil press
- Guided session of Extra virgin olive oil tasting
Tuscan IGP Extra Virgin Olive Oil : Since 1998 Tuscan olive oil has been prided on its IGP status (protected geographical indication PGI), and is produced exclusively with olives coming from local producers, and processed in olive-presses located within the Tuscan territory. The main variety of olives of the classic Tuscan blend are: Frantoio, Lecccino, Moraiolo and Pendolino, with the addition of minor varieties of less than 15%. Extra virgin olive oil is the best product, with an acidity of less than 1%. The fresh olive oil is bright green in color, which becomes yellow when mature. With a harmonious taste, fruity and acid free, the Tuscan blend of Evoo is very eclectic and it goes very well as a condiment for soups, bruschetta, fish, meat and vegetables, but also for more structured dishes such as roasts and sauces for pasta. It makes a healthy and exceptional seasoning because of its digestibility and nutritional contributions.
Umbria Dop Extra Virgin Olive Oil: The cultivation of olives in Umbria has very ancient origins, dating back to the Etruscan populations. Today, the production area of Umbria DOP extra virgin olive oil includes the entire territory of the Umbria region, while the most cultivated varieties of olive trees admitted by the regulations are: Leccino, Frantoio, Moraiolo, San Felice, Rajo and Dolce Agocia. The fresh olive oil is bright green in color, which becomes yellow when mature. With a harmonious taste, fruity and acid free, the Umbrian blend of Evoo has a well-rounded taste and a fragrant aroma; it is a very eclectic olive oil, ideal for seasoning and enhancing simple food but also dishes with a strong flavor. It makes a healthy and exceptional seasoning because of its digestibility and nutritional contributions.