Truffle Hunting Experience in Umbria
Truffle hunting tour in Umbria with a local truffle hunter and his truffle-hunting dogs.
Learn how to recognize the truffle varieties and taste its unique flavor, discovering the beautiful region Umbria with its evocative beauty of the natural environment and its authentic traditional cuisine.
- Private truffle hunting experience with private driver and transportation from all Umbria
- Guided experience by an English speaking truffle expert
- Hunt truffles with truffle-hunting dogs and a local truffle hunter
- Walk in the lush Umbrian woods enjoying the charming Umbrian landscapes
- Learn why truffle are gourmet delicacy and enjoy a truffle based lunch
Truffle hunting in Umbria with a local hunter and his truffle dogs is a fascinating experience and a unique way to discover the beautiful region Umbria with its suggestive beauty of the natural environment and its authentic traditional cooking.
This one-day gourmet excursion is created for food and wine lovers looking for an exclusive experience and it starts from your accommodation, where your friendly driver will pick you up with a comfortable sedan or minivan. Crossing the lush and green Umbrian hills, we will reach the secret meeting place, where a local truffle hunter await us.
During the morning you will have your own private truffle hunt, and, walking the unpolluted woods of Umbria breathing its pure air, we will follow the tracks of the truffle dog and the hunter, while your guide will give you all the information on how to recognize the black and white truffles, how they grow, and when during the year. That is when our loyal animal friend starts digging the ground. So the hunter promptly stops the dog and proceeds to continue the research. The long-awaited moment has arrived: we found it!
The truffle hunting experience will then continue visiting the small farm and workshop of the hunter, where we you will see how to preserve it, and you will get some advices on how to better use it for cooking, keeping the its unique fragrance and excellent taste.
And now, the other long-awaited moment: we will taste it, enjoying a truffle based lunch prepared with delicious typical dishes of the local cuisine, ending this special day out and a “must do” for foodies visiting Umbria.
Departure available from:
- The truffle hunting experience in Umbria is a private activity with departure from Assisi, Perugia, Orvieto, Todi, Spoleto, Spello, Montefalco, Bevagna, Trevi, Foligno, Norcia, Trasimeno Lake (Passignano, Castiglione del Lago, Magione, Tuoro, Panicale), Città della Pieve, Deruta, Gubbio, Città di Castello, Umbertide, Pietralunga, Citerna, Narni and the closer locations in Tuscany including Cortona, Montepulciano, Siena, Arezzo, Chiusi, Chianciano, Cetona, Sarteano, San Casciano dei Bagni, Anghiari, Sansepolcro, Monterchi.
- approximately 4-6-8 hours
- Qualified and professional English speaking driver – Luxury vehicle Mercedes-Benz or equivalent (experience can be offered even without transportation)
- Head office assistance and insurance coverage
- Authentic truffle hunting activity in the Umbria woods with a local truffle hunter and his dog
- English speaking guide/interpreter at disposal during the activity
- Truffle based lunch in a local farm (experience/activity can be offered even without lunch)
Truffle: Truffles are very valuable product often used in traditional Italian cooking, especially in the regions of Tuscany, Umbria and Piedmont. The white truffle (Tuber Magnatum Pico) is definitely the most valued. White in colour, and with sizes ranging from that of a walnut to an apple, it has a unique and unmistakable scent, which enhances the flavour. It lives in symbiosis, with plants such as poplar, willow and oak, and is particularly good eaten raw (better if on a hot dish) to enhance and appreciate its exceptional taste. The prized black truffle (Tuber Melonasporum Vittalini), a similar size to the white truffle, is black-purplish in colour, with an intense and prolonged perfume. It lends itself to short cooking times, and is great for using as fillings. We should also mention the less valuable, but at the same time flavourful and tasty, Scorzone Truffle (Tuber Aestivum).