Parmesan cheese, Prosciutto di Parma and Balsamic Vinegar Food Tour
Guided food tour in Parma and Modena with private car service and driver visiting the producers of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, Prosciutto di Parma and Balsamic Vinegar.
Taste delicious parmesan cheese, Parma ham, and authentic balsamic vinegar of Modena enjoying a private experience in the food valley of the Emilia Romagna region.
FOOD TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
- Private daytrip in Parma and Modena with private driver and transportation
- Guided full day food experience by an English speaking guide and food expert
- Visit to a cheese dairy of Parmigiano-Reggiano with tastings of different Parmesan cheeses
- Discover how Prosciutto di Parma is made in the hills near Parma
- Visit to an family-run Acetaia of Balsamic Vinegar of Modena and taste it with the producer
- Enjoy an authentic Emilian lunch in an Agriturismo, tasting many traditional dishes of Emilia-Romagna region
- Parma, Unesco creative city of o gastronomy
FOOD TOUR DESCRIPTION
This once-in-a-life-time experience will take you to the Italian Food Valley, where some of the most famous and delicious Italian typical products are made.
Visit to an authentic cheese dairy of Parmigiano-Reggiano with tasting. Discover how “the King of all cheeses” is made in the same way since centuries ago like the Monks who invented it. You’ll see first hand the “making of” it, the salt pools and the “wheel cathedrals”, real walls of cheese up to 20.000 in the same place!
Visit to a plant where the worldwide famous “Prosciutto di Parma” ham is produced. Discover why the best ham can be made only in the hills of Parma where the “Marino” wind blows from the Ligurian Sea trough the “Food Valley”.
Have you ever heard about Italy’s black gold? We are talking about the traditional Balsamic Vinegar which is produced only in the areas of Modena and Reggio Emilia. Welcomed in a family-run Acetaia, we will taste this special traditional balsamic vinegar with the producer, learning family recipes and secrets!
Finally enjoy a delicious lunch arranged in an agriturismo on the Parma’s hills, overlooking all the Food Valley, tasting the typical Tortelli pasta and many other traditional dishes of Emilia-Romagna region. Let’s go!
Departure available from:
- The Parmesan cheese, Prosciutto di Parma and Balsamic Vinegar Food Tour is a private food experience available from Parma, Modena, Bologna, Milan and from all Tuscany: Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, Chianti (Greve, Gaiole, Radda, Castellina), Arezzo, Cortona, Montepulciano, Montalcino, Pienza, Lucca, Pisa, Volterra.
- approximately 6/8/10/12 hours
- Qualified and professional English speaking driver
- Luxury vehicle (Mercedes-Benz or equivalent)
- Head office assistance and insurance coverage
- Complimentary water
- Wi-Fi on board
- Food guide and wine expert
- Parmigiano-Reggiano dairy visit with Parmesan tastings
- Visit of a producer of Prosciutto Parma
- Visit to an Acetaia with tasting of Balsamic Vinagar of Modena
- Lunch with traditional dishes of Emilia Romagna region (a vegetarian menu is also available)
Parmigiano Reggiano DOP (Parmesan): Historical evidence shows that already in 1200-1300, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese had reached its perfect typicality that has remained unchanged until the present day. The recent history of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese is essentially the history of how the approximately 350 small artisan dairies of the typical area (that encompasses about three thousand milk producers) has obtained, by way of Law, the recognition of their determination in preserving the processing method and the very high qualitative level of the product. It is the story of how the guarantee of genuineness of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese is now an absolute guarantee, thanks to the precise rules, applied with strict conformity self-discipline and control. Parmigiano-Reggiano is guaranteed from more than seventy years from the Consortium and, above all, it is loved since nine centuries for its generous taste.
Prosciutto di Parma ham DOP: The production of genuine Parma Ham is the story of a special relationship between man and nature. Since Roman times, the unique conditions of the Parma region have made it possible to produce the highest quality hams that have been appreciated by gourmets for centuries. All Parma Ham authorized producers must be located within the geographical boundaries of the Parma production area, South of the Emilia way not less than 5 km from it and up to a maximum altitude of 900 metres. The name Parma Ham for instance is exclusively reserved to hams produced in Parma according to the strict rules defined by the Consorzio’s specifications, which are based on the ancient tradition of its place of origin; in 1996 Parma Ham became one of the first meat products to be awarded the Designation of Protected Origin status.
Modena Balsamic vinegar: Towards the end of the 13th century, the art of vinegar production was cultivated at the Este Court in Modena. But it was only 1747, that the adjective balsamic made its appearance for the first time, in the registers of the cellars of the Dukes of Este: it was recorded as half balsamic and refined balsamic, distinctions which correspond to the current Balsamic Vinegar of Modena (Aceto Balsamico di Modena IGP). The production regulations leave plenty of leeway, allowing the use of grape must in percentages between 20 and 90% and wine vinegar between 10 and 80%. The use of caramel is allowed, up to 2%.