The Olive Harvest
Olive harvest experience in Tuscany, picking olives by hand from the olive trees with the harvesters.
Live an authentic experience and join the olive harvest in Tuscany. Be a local tourist, experiencing one of the most traditional activities in Tuscany: la raccolta delle olive.
- Private olive harvesting activity in Tuscany
- Guided experience by an English speaking wine and food expert
- Learn how extra virgin olive oil is made in an ancient olive-press
- Enjoy a pic-nic in a olive grove with wines pairing and extra virgin olive oil tasting
- The wonderful Tuscan countryside in the fall
If you are planning to be in Tuscany from mid-October to mid-November, you should know that is the period of the olive harvest and you won’t miss the chance to join one of the most traditional Tuscan activities: la raccolta delle olive (Italian for the olive harvest).
The olive harvest experience is organized and planned in two different sections. After meeting your wine and food guide in a farm producing olive oil, and after a short briefing with him with info of the experience, this first part of the activity will start moving in a gorgeous olive grove. Surrounded by centennial olive trees and working side by side with the harvesters, you will be able to pick the olives from the trees, learning also important information about the cultivation of the olive trees.
For the second part of the olive harvest activity, we will move to an ancient olive-press dated back to the XIX century. You will discover how extra virgin olive oil is made using the old millstone extraction method as well as with the modern continuous loop machinery, for then having the chance to taste it with delicious bruschetta during a picnic enjoying a typical Tuscan lunch paired with Tuscan wines.
Be a local tourist! Enjoy the millennial tradition of the olive harvest in Tuscany!
Activity available in:
- The Olive Harvest experience is a private activity available in Cortona and Arezzo and from Florence, Siena, Montalcino, Montepulciano, in Chianti, San Gimignano, Pienza, Val d’Orcia area, Perugia, Assisi, Orvieto and from all the main tourist sites of Tuscany and Umbria.
- approximately 6 hours
- Olive harvest in the olive tree grove
- English speaking wine and food guide
- Head office assistance and insurance coverage
- Olive-Press visit and extra virgin olive oil tasting
- Tuscan lunch/Pic-nic (vegetarian menu is also available)
- Transportation with qualified and professional English speaking driver and luxury vehicle Mercedes-Benz or equivalent (optional)
Tuscan IGP Extra Virgin Olive Oil : Since 1998 Tuscan olive oil has been prided on its IGP status (protected geographical indication PGI), and is produced exclusively with olives coming from local producers, and processed in olive-presses located within the Tuscan territory. The main variety of olives of the classic Tuscan blend are: Frantoio, Lecccino, Moraiolo and Pendolino, with the addition of minor varieties of less than 15%. Extra virgin olive oil is the best product, with an acidity of less than 1%. The fresh olive oil is bright green in color, which becomes yellow when mature. With a harmonious taste, fruity and acid free, the Tuscan blend of Evoo is very eclectic and it goes very well as a condiment for soups, bruschetta, fish, meat and vegetables, but also for more structured dishes such as roasts and sauces for pasta. It makes a healthy and exceptional seasoning because of its digestibility and nutritional contributions.