The Grape Harvest
Authentic grape harvest experience in Tuscany, picking grape by hand in the vineyards with the harvesters.
Be a local tourist and join the grape harvest in a small winery in Tuscany, working, learning and experiencing one of the most traditional Italian activities: la Vendemmia.
- Private grape harvesting activity in Tuscany
- Guided experience by an English speaking wine expert and sommelier
- Grape stomping, do it the old way
- Winery visit, tastings and bespoke experience with a local producer
- Enjoy a pic-nic in a winery with wines pairing and extra virgin olive oil tasting
- The wonderful Tuscan wine region in the fall
If you are planning your calendar so that you are in Tuscany from mid-September to mid-October, then you won’t miss a great opportunity to learn a lot about the local culture participating to one of the most traditional and characteristic Italian activities: la vendemmia (Italian for the grape harvest).
The grape harvest experience takes place in a small and family-run winery, where you will meet your wine expert and guide who will give you all the technical information and good tips. During the activity, you will be able to work and pick with the harvesters in the vineyards, and it will be a great opportunity to learn important information about the varieties of grapes and cultivations of the vines.
Next step of the harvest will be moving grapes in the winery, so following the tractor you will reach the cellar facilities and the crushing area, where you will see all the steps of the wine-making process: from the destemming machine to the fermentation casks, you will learn how the must is transformed into wine. If you want, you can also replicate the traditional and old way, stomping the grapes with the feet, before having a convivial lunch in the winery or a pic-nic in the vineyards enjoying a typical Tuscan lunch, sampling and pairing with the wines.
At the end, your clothes could be dirty, you may be tired and maybe also a little bit drunk… but happy!
Activity available in:
- The Grape Harvest experience is a private activity available in Cortona, Montalcino, Montepulciano, in Chianti, and from Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, Pienza, Val d’Orcia area, Arezzo, Perugia, Assisi, Orvieto and from all the main tourist sites of Tuscany and Umbria.
- approximately 6 hours
- Grape harvest in the vineyards
- English speaking wine expert and guide
- Head office assistance and insurance coverage
- Winery visit with wine tastings
- Tuscan lunch/Pic-nic at the winery (vegetarian menu is also available)
- Transportation with qualified and professional English speaking driver and luxury vehicle Mercedes-Benz or equivalent (optional)
Tuscany Wine Regions: Located in central Italy along the Tyrrhenian coast, Tuscany is home to some of the world’s oldest and most famous wine regions: Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano primarily made with Sangiovese grape whereas the Vernaccia grape is the basis of the white Vernaccia di San Gimignano. Tuscany has forty-one Denominazioni di origine controllata (DOC) and eleven Denominazioni di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG). In the 1970s a new class of wines known in the trade as “Super Tuscans” emerged. These wines were made outside DOC/DOCG regulations but were considered of high quality and commanded high prices. Many of these wines are based on a “Bordeaux-blend” and became cult wines. Others very well reputed Tuscan wine regions and Tuscan wines are Cortona, Morellino di Scansano and Carmignano. Tuscany is also known for the dessert wine Vin Santo, made from Trebbiano and Malvasia grapes.