Food & Wine Tour in San Gimignano
Guided food and wine experience in Tuscany in San Gimignano with English speaking guide and private transportation.
Private food and wine tour in San Gimignano with car service and private driver from Florence, Siena, Chianti area, Volterra, Certaldo, Colle Val D’Elsa, Monteriggioni, Cortona, Montepulciano, Montalcino, Pienza, Arezzo, Lucca and from all Tuscany.
- Private food and wine tour in San Gimignano with private driver and transportation
- Scenic itinerary through gorgeous Tuscan landscapes
- Guided full day wine & food experience by an English speaking wine guide and food expert
- Visit of a cheese making farm tasting delicious Tuscan cheeses
- Winery visit in the Vernaccia di San Gimignano wine region, private wine and extra virgin olive oil tastings
- Saffron: one of the region’s most prized gourmet delicacy. How is produced in San Gimignano
- Traditional Tuscan lunch in an small olive oil and saffron farm made with organic farm-to-table ingredients
- Enjoy an international award-winning Italian gelato in the main square of San Gimignano
- The stunning historical center of San Gimignano, a world heritage site by Unesco
If you are looking for an authentic wine and food experience in San Gimignano combining the tastings of excellent Tuscan wines, cheeses and many other specialties with the extraordinary beauty of the Tuscan landscapes, then look no further!
Your private tour starts with your English-speaking driver and guide, picking directly at your accommodation and guiding you during your special daytrip in San Gimignano. Driving through the stunning Tuscan countryside, tour will arrive at the first location of the day: a cheese-maker farm, where you will be able to learn the cheese-making techniques and aging processes, meet many farm animals and taste all the different cheeses produced.
Time flies in happy moments and it is time to move on and reach the second activity of the day: a winery in San Gimignano and their excellent wines are waiting for us. During the cellar tour you will have the chance to learn everything you want to know about the Vernaccia di San Gimignano Docg and Chianti Docg wines for then enjoying a private wine tasting session accompanied with tasty bruschetta made with their own extra virgin olive oil.
Going up and down on the Tuscan rolling hills, tour comes to lunchtime. Next location of the tour will be a family-run organic saffron farm where you will discover how saffron is cultivated, selected and produced, for then enjoy a delicious lunch prepared by the farm’s owner and served on an terrace featuring a scenic view on San Gimignano.
Last stop of the tour will be in the charming town of San Gimignano, declared world heritage site by Unesco, where we will enjoy an international award-winning gelato and a the pleasant afternoon in the lovely main square of San Gimignano.
Departure available from:
- The food & wine tour in San Gimignano is a private experience with departure from Florence, Siena, Volterra, all the Chianti area (Castellina in Chianti, Radda in Chianti, Greve in Chianti, Panzano, Gaiole in Chianti, Barberino, Tavarnelle), Certaldo, Montespertoli, San Casciano, Colle Val D’Elsa, Monteriggioni, Cortona, Montepulciano, Montalcino, Pienza, Arezzo, Pisa, Lucca and from all the main tourist sites of Tuscany.
- approximately 8 hours
- Qualified and professional English speaking driver
- Luxury vehicle (Mercedes-Benz or equivalent)
- Head office assistance and insurance coverage
- Complimentary water
- Wi-Fi on board
- Food guide and wine expert
- Cheese maker’s farm visit and cheese tastings
- Winery visit with wine and extra virgin olive oil tastings
- Visit of an organic saffron and extra virgin olive oil farm
- Traditional Tuscan lunch prepared by the saffron farm’s owner and paired with Tuscan wines (vegetarian menu is also available)
- A lot of gelato
Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG Wine: It is a white Italian wine, made from the Vernaccia variety of grape, produced around the Tuscan hill town of San Gimignano, where the Vernaccia grapes planted in sandstone-based vineyards tend to produce the best results. Since the Renaissance, it has been considered one of Italy’s finest white wines. It was the first Italian wine to be awarded DOC status in 1966; upgraded to DOCG on 1993. According to DOC regulations, Vernaccia di San Gimigniano must contain 90% Vernaccia, with up to 10% other nonaromatic approved white varieties. In order to meet “riserva” status, aging must be a minimum of twelve months, including four months in bottle. The wine is characteristically dry with crisp acidity and a slightly bitter finish. Modern winemaking has introduced the use of oak aging to give the wine another layer of complexity and roundness.
Saffron from San Gimignano DOP: Many evidences prove this product has existed in the area of San Gimignano since the 13th century making the fortune of many local nobles families and, since it was a product which was considered to be precious, it was also used as a replacement for money. Saffron of San Gimignano DOP can be produced only in the territory of the municipality and it is obtained exclusively from the pink part of the stigmas of the bulb-tuber “crocus sativus” which are then toasted. Many of the steps in the cultivation process are still carried out by hand just like in the Middle Ages: selecting the bulbs, collecting the flowers in the early hours of the morning, cleaning them and drying them over fire. It is now an excellent spice to enrich the flavor of many food, as well as the key ingredient of many delicious dishes.
Tuscan Extra Virgin Olive Oil IGP: Since 1998 Tuscan olive oil has been prided on its IGP status (protected geographical indication PGI), and is produced exclusively with olives coming from local producers, and processed in olive-presses located within the Tuscan territory. The main variety of olives of the classic Tuscan blend are: Frantoio, Lecccino, Moraiolo and Pendolino, with the addition of minor varieties of less than 15%. Extra virgin olive oil is the best product, with an acidity of less than 1%. The fresh olive oil is bright green in color, which becomes yellow when mature. With a harmonious taste, fruity and acid free, the Tuscan blend of Evoo is very eclectic and it goes very well as a condiment for soups, bruschetta, fish, meat and vegetables, but also for more structured dishes such as roasts and sauces for pasta. It makes a healthy and exceptional seasoning because of its digestibility and nutritional contributions.
Pecorino Toscano DOP cheese: It is a soft, semi-hard and aged cheese produced from sheep’s milk, coming exclusively from the area of origin (Tuscany region). It is white or pale yellow in colour, with an intense flavour, fragrant and sweet. The product has a certification of authenticity and protected origin (DOP) since 1996 issued by the European Community. It is to be remembered that many cheese makers produce ricotta as well, a byproduct coming from the manufacture of cheese, often used in the preparation of handmade pasta (Ravioli, Tortelli) or confectionery specialties.