Cheese Making Experience
Hands-on experience visiting an organic pecorino cheese farm in Tuscany or Umbria and learning how to make your own cheese!
Experience includes the dairy visit with the cheese maker, the Pecorino cheese class, as well as a delicious cheese based lunch while enjoying spectacular views of the beautiful Tuscan and Umbrian countryside.
- Private cheese making experience with private driver and transportation
- Guided experience by an English speaking cheese maker
- Farm and dairy visit; bespoke experience with a local Pecorino cheese producer
- Cheese making demonstration and class of Pecorino cheese
- Enjoy a farm lunch tasting different and delicious Pecorino cheeses
Did you always want to know how cheese is made? This unforgettable hands-on experience will shed some light on that. Depending on your preference, you can decide if doing a cheese making class in Tuscany or in Umbria; both the cheese makers are organic producers and they don’t pasteurize their milk, therefore their cheeses are a raw milk product. It is a unique experience and opportunity to learn the traditional method of production and aging of Pecorino, the typical Tuscan and Umbrian cheese produced from sheep milk; all of this enjoying the country life and the family style atmosphere, surrounded by the iconic and beautiful Tuscan and Umbrian landscapes.
The experience begins in the morning, arriving at the farm and meeting the cheese maker, who will guide you in English for the entire activity. Starting with a detailed guided tour of the farm, stables and dairy, you will see how a small and family-owned farm in Tuscany and Umbria is run, and afterwards follows the actual cheesemaking class. During the activity, you will learn how to use milk and other mysterious ingredients to create a caciotta, and you can ask to the cheese maker all the questions that will come to you spontaneously during the discovery of this ancient art.
The experience will end enjoying a wonderful farm lunch overlooking the gorgeous countryside, having bruschetta with fresh extra virgin olive oil produced in the farm, handmade pasta, and tasting many different types of pecorino cheese and ricotta, all accompanied with several glasses of good wine. Cheers and buon appetito to the new cheese makers!
Departure available from:
- The cheese making class in Tuscany and Umbria is a private experience with departure from Florence, Siena, Montepulciano, Cortona, San Gimignano, Pienza, Montalcino, Val d’Orcia area, Chianti (Radda, Greve, Gaiole, Castellina, Panzano), Arezzo, Lucca, Pisa, Perugia, Assisi, Orvieto, Todi, Spello, Spoleto, Montefalco, Bevagna, Trasimeno lake area, Città della Pieve, Chiusi, Sarteano, Chianciano, Cetona, Sinalunga, Asciano, Buonconvento, Monteriggioni, Anghiari, Sansepolcro and from all the main tourist sites of Tuscany and Umbria.
- approximately 6-8 hours
- Qualified and professional English speaking driver – Luxury vehicle Mercedes-Benz or equivalent (experience/class can be offered even without transportation)
- Head office assistance and insurance coverage
- English speaking cheese maker at disposal as guide
- Farm and dairy tour
- Cheese making demonstration and class
- Traditional lunch at the farm with 4 course menu (appetizer, pasta, cheese platter, dessert, water and wine; vegetarian menu is also available)
Pecorino Toscano DOP cheese: It is a soft, semi-hard and aged cheese produced from sheep’s milk, coming exclusively from the area of origin (Tuscany region). It is white or pale yellow in colour, with an intense flavour, fragrant and sweet. The product has a certification of authenticity and protected origin (DOP) since 1996 issued by the European Community. It is to be remembered that many cheese makers produce ricotta as well, a byproduct coming from the manufacture of cheese, often used in the preparation of handmade pasta (Ravioli, Tortelli) or confectionery specialties.