Food & Wine Tour in Montalcino, Pienza and Val D’Orcia
Guided food and wine experience in Montalcino in Pienza with English speaking guide and private driver.
Private food and wine tour in Tuscany in Val d’Orcia with private car service and transportation from Siena, Florence, Montepulciano, Cortona, San Gimignano, Chianti area, Perugia, Assisi, Orvieto, Arezzo, Lucca and from all Tuscany.
- Private food and wine tour in Montalcino and Pienza with private driver and transportation
- Scenic itinerary through the iconic Val d’Orcia National Park
- Guided full day wine & food experience by an English speaking wine guide and food expert
- Winery visit in the Brunello wine region, private tastings and bespoke experiences with the local producers
- Visit of a cheese maker’s farm enjoying the natural environment of the Val D’Orcia National Park and tasting delicious Tuscan Pecorino cheese and extra virgin olive oil
- How Pasta is made in a traditional Tuscan stone mill
- Enjoy Italian gelato made from scratch
- The lovely Tuscan hill towns of Pienza and Montalcino
If you want to enjoy the best Brunello wines of Montalcino, delicious Pecorino cheeses of Pienza, and many other authentic wine and food activities, experiencing the scenic Tuscan landscapes of the Val d’Orcia, this is absolutely what you are looking for.
Your private driver-guide will pick you up at your accommodation, and then will head into spectacular Val d’Orcia National Park with its panoramic views on stunning Tuscan landscapes.
Tour can start first visiting a medieval castle with an ancient stone mill still used for grinding cereal grains into flour, and seeing how Pasta is made in a small and artisan pasta maker; the visit ends tasting bruschetta of Tuscan bread made from ancient varieties of grains accompanied with delicious Tuscan extra virgin olive oil.
Moving towards the medieval town of Montalcino, hometown of the renowned Brunello wine, your next stop will be a winery on the outskirts of town where you will be able to understand the winemaking techniques and aging processes to produce this excellent wine and to enjoy a private wine tasting session of the Brunello and other estate wines.
The wine and food tour will then continue visiting a Pecorino cheese maker in the area of Pienza. The tour of the organic farm and of the dairy will give you the chance to see what it means to live a farmer life today in Tuscany looking at the sustainability and preserving the natural environment for then enjoying a traditional farmer lunch made with the products of the farm accompanied with all their tasty Pecorino cheeses.
Last stop of the tour will be in the lovely town of Pienza, declared UNESCO site for its ingenious architecture, where we will taste delicious Italian gelato produced from the scratch by a small gelato maker ending the day with a stroll along the charming streets of this jewel of Tuscany.
Departure available from:
- The food & wine tour in Montalcino, Pienza and Val d’Orcia is a private experience with departure from Siena, Florence, Montepulciano, Cortona, Chianti, San Gimignano, all the main locations of the Val d’Orcia area, and from Arezzo, Lucca, Pisa, Perugia, Assisi, Orvieto, Chiusi, Sarteano, Chianciano, Cetona, Buonconvento, Asciano, Monteriggioni and from all the main tourist sites of Tuscany.
- approximately 8 hours
- Qualified and professional English speaking driver
- Luxury vehicle (Mercedes-Benz or equivalent)
- Head office assistance and insurance coverage
- Complimentary water
- Wi-Fi on board
- Food guide and wine expert
- Cheese maker’s farm visit and cheese tastings
- Winery visit and wine tastings
- Visit of a stone mill and bruschetta tastings with extra Virgin olive oil
- Traditional Tuscan lunch at the cheese maker farm (vegetarian menu is also available)
- A lot of gelato
Brunello di Montalcino DOCG wine: This is a wine produced in Tuscany, in a production area which has a radius of about 25 km, with Montalcino at its centre. Invented by Ferruccio Biondi-Santi in the mid-800’s, it is a wine produced in a hilly area, no more than 600m above sea level, and with the variation of Sangiovese, called Sangiovese Grosso. The characteristics are those of an intense red colour, with a warm taste, robust and persistent. It can be marketed only after a minimum of 5 years of aging (6 for the reserve) and goes well with red meats, game, aged cheeses, mushrooms and truffles. It is also great as a meditation wine.
Pecorino Toscano DOP cheese: It is a soft, semi-hard and aged cheese produced from sheep’s milk, coming exclusively from the area of origin (Tuscany region). It is white or pale yellow in colour, with an intense flavour, fragrant and sweet. The product has a certification of authenticity and protected origin (DOP) since 1996 issued by the European Community. It is to be remembered that many cheese makers produce ricotta as well, a byproduct coming from the manufacture of cheese, often used in the preparation of handmade pasta (Ravioli, Tortelli) or confectionery specialties.